Skip to main content

On My Worktable This Week, Felt Owls and Mini Felt Christmas Stockings, Oh And Another Costume!

For the early part of this week, I was consumed with the "Loki" costume I posted about here.  It was a big success, the only drawback being, that it was another very warm day and so my daughter was a bit uncomfortable in her layers of faux leather!  I think, however, that the coolness factor outweighed the discomfort!  Once the costume was finished on Tuesday evening, it was back to smaller projects.  I have been finishing up some hanging owls and making some pretty embroidered mini stockings.  These are all for the quilt show which is coming next weekend!  I am happy with how the little felt stockings are turning out.  They are just the right size for a candy cane and I had hoped to find some candy canes to put in them but no-one has them yet!  I found some on Amazon but all the reviews said they were broken on arrival which is not what I want at all.  









In addition to these projects, I have been thinking about another costume.  My daughter needs to dress up as Queen Elizabeth 1 next week for her European History class.  At first she thought she might be able to alter a dress from the thrift store if she could find an appropriate dress but then she began to research Queen Elizabeth's wardrobe and quickly realized that it wasn't as simple as she first thought!  We ended up at our fabric and craft store yesterday afternoon searching out a pattern and some sale fabrics.  Thankfully she sews too and is going to make the skirt while I make the bodice.  It's a fairly complicated pattern, after all, Queen Elizabeth the first was clearly not into the ideas of "less is more" or 'simple, clean lines"!  I'll keep you posted on our progress!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.