Skip to main content

Queen Elizabeth 1, Costume Sneak Peeks And Lessons Learned

Today has been a challenge.  My sewing machine, which last week sewed through multiple layers of faux leather (for my LOKI costume) without hesitation, today decided that it really didn't like sewing the fabrics for my royal dress.  Using scraps of the fabric, I fiddled with the tension, needle types and threads till I was quite irritated.  The fabric is slippery and is my least favorite kind to work with but it is a dress for royalty so there weren't really too many options and it is beautiful.  Yesterday my daughter and I cut out all the fabric pieces.  There is a lot of fabric!  There are 6.5yards of the main gold color and 2 of the coordinating red.  The skirt is gold and the bodice is red and yes the skirt took nearly all the 6.5yards!  





My first problem was that my trusty walking foot snagged the delicate fabric.  Thank goodness this was the wrong side!   


Then I had to deal with a stroppy sewing machine with tension issues.


When the tension was finally acceptable, I had to double pin everything to stop the layers shifting.  Below is the bodice lining.  I have used a very soft quilting cotton so it will feel nice next to my daughter's skin.  This was my first time using boning and it went pretty smoothly - thank you Google and YouTube!  I had to make some fit adjustments to the bodice when my daughter came home from school but nothing too major.  Tomorrow I will finish up the sleeves and put the bodice together.  Hopefully I can make some good progress on the skirt too.  More tomorrow!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.