Skip to main content

Queen Elizabeth Costume, A Finished Bodice And Skirt

By the end of the day yesterday, I was feeling completely exhausted and a bit overwhelmed with the complexities of this costume.  I woke up this morning with a clear picture of what needed to be done and things went pretty well.  I think it helped that I had dealt with all the sewing machine problems yesterday so today I was able to dive right in.  First job of the day was to finish the alterations I'd had to make to the bodice to fit my daughter.  Those went well and although attaching the bodice to the lining and inserting those very puffy sleeves was not easy, it all went smoothly.  The pattern had called for an 18inch zipper for the bodice but when I went to put it in, it was way too long so I had to pop out and get a 16inch one!  



In this pattern, the bodice and the skirt are made separately.  This has worked really well for me because it has allowed me to tailor the patterns to my daughter so that the fit is really good.  There was a little bit of hand finishing on the inside of the bodice. 



You can see how the shape of the bodice combined with the placement of the boning makes a beautiful silhouette.  You can also see the darts I added to make the top part fit my daughter.  You don't really see these most of the time.  Tomorrow I have to hem the skirt and make the stand up collar.  The collar attaches to those squares of velcro that you see around the back neckline.  I made good progress today and we are both happy with the results.  I also cleaned the house and decorated my mantlepiece with some mini pumpkins we bought at the weekend.  They look very cheery.  A good day! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.