Skip to main content

On My Worktable

The weather forecasters have been warning us for the last few days that the "storm of the decade" was on its way.  We were warned of downed trees and power lines from the strong winds and flash floods from the heavy rain.  So dramatic!  This was the sky this morning, the lull before the storm.  It finally began to rain here late morning but I was really disappointed that it was not more exciting.  We didn't get the promised windy weather, maybe it was worse in other parts of the Bay Area.  Lots of school districts had closed for the day, but here it was an anticlimax!  It was a good day for being at home sewing though.  Sewing and tea, yes, a good day.



I cut out the pieces to make two more penguin and polar bear pincushions and pieces for a brown bear pincushion similar to the polar bear one.  


My husband prepared this log for printing at the weekend and I thought about doing some printing today but the humidity is so high, the ink would take too long to dry.  I'll wait for a better day.  It has beautiful grain, I'm looking forward to seeing how it prints.  Those bits that make a star shape are where the branches were growing.  I didn't realize, until we started cutting up logs, that tree branches start right at the center of the tree.  This is a piece of pine but the branches of a cedar tree have bark on them even inside the tree!  



In preparing the log slice for printing, it gets scorched with a blow torch.  The hole that you can see is where the sap bubbled up and out when it was heated!


We did get enough rain that I had to drain some water from the pool.  I will have to do it again tomorrow.  We are supposed to get about 5 inches of rain from this storm.




Oh, to be a cat!  This is Princess.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.