Skip to main content

On My Worktable

I had a great few days in the mountains last week, hiking, sewing and watching movies with my daughter.  It was lovely.  I put a note on my shop announcement saying I would be gone for a few days and oddly enough, I had a eight orders!  I got those all packaged up on Sunday and to the Post Office first thing Monday morning.  


After a few days away I have been doing all the usual catching up things around the house, laundry and cleaning etc which is all quite tedious!  I have also been doing some sewing.  I made some more antique clock pincushions last week while I was away but stuffed and finished them on Monday.

FabricAndInk.Etsy.com

fabricandink.etsy.com

I also finished up some more of these little bird pincushions.  You can't see in this picture, but there is a little nest on a branch with another red bird nestled in it on the side of these pincushions.  


For a while now, I've wanted to make something with English pieced hexagons.  I decided to start with a needle book.  The fabrics I've used look like Liberty prints don't they?  In reality they are made by Moda and actually have a nicer feel than the Liberty quilting cotton fabrics I have in my stash.  They have the weight of quilting cotton but the softness of Liberty lawn fabric and they sew beautifully.  These hexagons are small, less than an inch across so they are a bit fiddly to work with!







I finished this needle book this afternoon but didn't have time to photograph it so I'll show you next time.  This evening after dinner I started on some cherry tree pincushions as I am currently sold out of those.  This is another project featuring hundreds of french knots!  I've mentioned before that french knots are my favorite embroidery stitch, I find them very soothing...... until the thread tangles....grrrrr.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.