Skip to main content

Our Grandfather Clock

This antique clock face pincushion has been getting a lot of views in my shop.  I realized after reading my last post that I hadn't posted a proper picture of the whole clock.  It's tricky to photograph because it's in my entryway, which is fairly dark and the walls are a golden yellow which always makes the photos come out a bit strange!  I've done my best to take a decent photo this morning so I could share it.

FabricAndInk.etsy.com

The clock has been in my husband's family a long time.  Several years ago my mother in law was showing me a family photo album and we came across a photo of the lady who originally owned the clock.  The photo shows my mother in law's great grandmother and her daughter Emma and it was Emma who owned the clock.  I have been trusted with this wonderful photo album which is precious and fragile.  The binding is broken, and the pages damaged.  I have scanned the photos and keep the album in a dry, warm spot (not too hard, this is California!).  It looks like a prop from a Harry Potter movie don't you think?!



The younger lady is Emma, original owner of our grandfather clock.  You will see from the next photos that the clock is shorter than it should be.  This is because at some time in the past, it suffered some water damage and the bottom was cut off!



In case you are wondering, the painting is by Simon Carter, my brother in law.  He has a website and blog which you can find here.


FabricAndInk.etsy.com





Comments

Post a Comment

I love to read comments (unless they are spam!). Comments are moderated to filter out the irritating spammy stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.