Skip to main content

Quilted Table Runner, Nearly Done!

The closer I'm getting to finishing this, the more I like it.  I was really worried there wouldn't be enough contrast in the grey blocks but it looks fine.  Last night, after some drama with one of our indoor cats getting let out by mistake and a subsequent successful retrieval at about 11pm, I wound down by sewing the blocks together!  Said cat was found crying pitifully between the wall of the built in bbq and the fence and was very happy to get safely back indoors!  

This morning I pin basted after finding I did actually have enough of the wood grain fabric mentioned here.  Yay!  Like most quilters I talk to or read about, basting is my least favorite part of the process.   At least this was just a small project!

And the reward for basting, is the actual quilting.  I love the look of hand quilting and also enjoy the process but for something that will get thrown in the washer and dryer often, I think machine quilting is the way to go.  I'm a straight line quilting girl.  I love the look.  As you can see I use my walking foot for piecing and quilting, using the edge of the foot to line up the next line of stitches.  I always switch needles at this point to a sturdier needle that can handle the thickness of the seams and I lengthen the stitch to 3.  As you can see, because these blocks are improvised, there is nothing to line the stitching up with which makes it really important to get the first line right (I started in the center and then worked out).

Next will be the binding.  I think I may go with an orange binding, I'll have to see what I have because I'm trying to just use fabrics from my stash.  


Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  

You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  

Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  

I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.