Skip to main content

costume finish

The Three Musketeers opens on Friday night and I'm still working on some of the costumes, a snap here, a tuck in a waistband there.  I've finished several pairs of fancy knee length pants for the guys, made decorative bow/buckle embellishments for their shoes and finished the dress for my daughter.  All this while being followed around by our newly adopted ex-racing greyhound.

This is where I began.....



This is my daughter modeling for me last night.  It is Tech Week this week so she rehearsing till late and the only pictures I could get were before bedtime and the lighting isn't great.  I hand stitched the trims on which took a couple of evenings.  My brief was that the dress needed to be for a scene with a ball but it couldn't be more ornate than the queens dress!




I am very happy with how it turned out.  With some adjustments to the pattern, it fits her perfectly.  I really like that this patten makes a separate bodice and skirt, it makes the whole thing much easier to sew because I am not having to handle so much fabric (having said that, there is about 5 yards of fabric in the skirt alone!)  I'm hoping the drama teacher can pull a petticoat from the costume room to make the skirt stand out a bit.  






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.