Skip to main content

Vintage Telephone Pincushion

Here is what I've been working on for the last few days.  This is one of the new pincushion designs that has been rattling around in my head since the quilt show!  I've been trying to get my shop restocked but I really wanted to make something new.  New designs always take a little longer as the kinks get worked out along the way.

This is an original black vintage phone from the 1930's that I bought for my husband several years ago.  We have it plugged in (it works) in our family room and it has a lovely, very distinctive ring.  Added bonus, it works during power outages!  I know cell phones do too but this has way more style!

As usual, I began with sketches and notes which will be useful if I make this design again. There was no need for pattern pieces for this design because it is simply a black felt circle with holes over a white felt circle.  I cut the white circle a tiny bit smaller than the black one so that you won't see the white felt at the edges when it is put together.  

To make embroidering the numbers easier I lightly wrote the numbers with a very fine black pen and also did the white writing with white pen.  I usually do my embroidery without any markings but not letters or numbers like this. 

The side band is a smokey blue felt because it seemed to match the vintage feel and I appliquéd white, pink and coral flowers and green leaves onto it.  I also added some french knot flower buds with a pale pink variegated embroidery floss.  

These are not yet listed in my shop as I only just took the photos but I'm hoping to add them by tomorrow.   


Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  

You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  

Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  

I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.