Skip to main content

Weaving

I am embarrassed to admit that when January 2016 came around and I hadn't attempted any of the crafts on my "Things To Try in 2015" Pinterest board, I simply changed the name to "Things To Try in 2016". 

Fast forward to June and I still haven't experimented with any of these ideas.  However, when I was in Target a couple of days ago I spotted a very simple wooden loom for weaving and this is one of the things I've been wanting to try.  I even got as far as looking at looms online but they all seemed to be more than I really wanted to pay.  This Target version was inexpensive and so I tucked it in with the paper towels and groceries and here it is.  



For such an inexpensive loom, it is made of nice wood and is well finished, there are no rough bits for the yarn to snag on and it feels nice to touch.  The instructions however are completely rubbish.  The pictures don't show anything useful and there are no real instructions for how to string the loom - I don't suppose for one moment that that is the correct terminology! The first problem was that the side dowels were too loose in their holes and each time I tried to pick it up it all came apart in my hands.  I had to glue the dowels in and leave it overnight.  Of course now I'm stuck with it being full size but that's ok.  


Then I strung it, but it didn't seem right.....because it wasn't.  There were no instructions for this part so I had to google it and watched a couple of short videos before trying again.


There are so many beautiful woven art pieces on Pinterest so there is a lot of inspiration out there.  There are also tons of how to videos.  I've picked out a couple of color schemes from my very limited yarn stash and when I've chosen, I'll start weaving.  










  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.