Skip to main content

A Camel Pincushion

Some time ago, I was asked by a customer if I could make her a pincushion with a camel on it.  After looking at pictures of camels online, there being no live camels hereabouts(!!), I realized what bizarre looking creatures they are.  And drawing one was hard.  To begin with my camels looked very much like llamas!  I persevered because to make something like this I have to have sketched the animal several times.  These are my last set of sketches. 


My customer requested a full body image of a camel and my process is to draw it till I'm happy with it then make a pattern.  I had to shorten the legs and neck just a little bit to make them fit and even then my drawing overlapped the edges of the 3.5inch circle that represents the size of the pincushion top.  What I do in this situation is just go ahead and finish drawing, go over it in black pen and then reduce the size by photocopying it.  



By stitching over the edge of the felt, I'm trying to make the camel look a bit shaggy.  The feet are my favorite part!





The side band of this pincushion is fuchsia with lots of flowers and leaves because my customer had mentioned how much she liked my happy elephant pincushion.   The camel looked a bit bare so with her approval I added some flowers around his neck - much better!


The extra two camels will be coming with me to the quilt show at the end of September.  I wasn't sure if I was going to do the show again this year but I have decided to.  My shop didn't really go quiet this summer as in previous years so I have been scrambling to keep on top of things and make enough items for my booth!





































SaveSave

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.