Skip to main content

Some Brightness For This Dreary Weather

I live in California and you may have heard that we've been having some Weather.  In truth it's been completely crazy.  We had several inches of rain from a wild and windy storm system that caused localized flooding, downed trees, power outages and all our local reservoirs to overflow!  Up on "our" mountain we had 9 inches of rain in one day. This then froze and was followed by 6feet of fresh powder and high winds over the next couple of days resulting in dangerous avalanches and forcing the the ski resort to close for the week.  

This is what 6 feet of fresh snow and high winds actually looks like on top of the three feet or so of existing snow.  These are not my photos but from Bear Valley's Facebook page.  The first one is the front of the main building!





The sun came out today and they have been digging out and grooming and I am heading up there tomorrow for some fantastic skiing!

Meanwhile back in the gloomy flatlands, I've been cheering myself up with lots of color!  My orders of wool felt arrived and are just gorgeous.  



I've been working on some pincushions and coordinating needle books with pretty Spring flowers - my way of handling the dark, grey weather and unrelenting rain.  There are wild roses, lily of the valley, forget-me-nots, daffodils and snowdrops.  I think the snowdrops are my favorite.  Every flower and leaf is cut freehand.  This design takes a little longer than some of the others because of all the cutting out but I think it's worth it.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sneak Peek - Painted Rocks

My brain and fingers were beginning to rebel against all the sewing I've been doing, I needed a break.  Don't misunderstand me.  I LOVE to sew, it's soothing and satisfying but over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of it in preparation for the Pajaro Valley Quilt Association annual quilt show next weekend.  To give myself a change of pace I painted some rocks. I've been really enjoying the opportunity to simply play with color.  


You can't really tell from this photo, but the best way to paint dots is to use the handle end of various paintbrushes.  Just load up some paint and go straight up and down with the brush. I have a few different brushes with different sized handles.  I also use a foam brush handle for really big dots and toothpicks for tiny dots.  

When I'm finished I plan to give them a coat of varnish to protect them.  I have used mainly Martha Stewart acrylic paints because they are thicker than the other brands and so the dots on the side…

Embroidered Hanging Pumpkins

I finished a whole lot of these pumpkins.  This batch is for the quilt show that I will be selling at at the end of September.  Any left after that will be added to my shop and I will likely end up making more since I sold lots of these last year and sold out.  This year I have made some with embroidery and some with little appliqué flowers and leaves.  When I display them at the quilt show I use a metal jug filled with tall branches that I harvest from my tree.  I hang the little pumpkins from those branches.  It adds some good height to the table in my booth and the pumpkins look great hanging there.  








Yesterday I started on some tiny Christmas stockings.  These are for my booth at the quilt show too.  Again, I made a few of these for the show last year and sold them all.  I then made lots for my shop and this blue one is the only one I had left.  They are really small, perfect for a candy cane or a rolled up dollar bill!  I'm making them in bright, mostly non-traditional colors.…

More felt cacti

The last time I was up in the mountains I worked on some more felt cacti.  The hardest part of making these is picking the colors and making the flowers!  While we were there it snowed really hard (in June!!) and so it was really nice to be working on something really brightly colored while the wood stove kept us cozy.  



I was able to get them all stitched and the flowers added and then I "potted" them when I got home.  This involves very carefully hot gluing them into their little pots.  I'm really happy with how this batch turned out, my favorite one is the very pale green cactus with the pink flowers.